From:
Lea Statler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 05:03:23 -0500
Hi all, I had to post this today, b/c the SO is taking the computer all day
and night tomorrow!!!

My Vet: I got the ECE download from the FML, took that and any other info.
on ece to my vet.  After about 2 weeks, I took Riki in for her frist
distemper.  I asked Dr. Cook what she thought about the info and was told
that they had just had a siminar, ECE was not even mentioned.  I told her
that we had no reported cases hear yet, she told me that this was an
eastcoast vet and if there was such an out break it would have been
mentioned!!!  At this point I'm thinking about changing vets.  Dr. Cook and
Dr. Green seem to know about ferrets, but if they can't except new info.
or think that the whole thing is just some flu.  I think that I should look
into a new vet.

Small breeders:
I don't know of any breeders in New Mexico, but there are a few backyard
types here. One gal that used to breed, was telling me all about the problem
she had. Mothers eating they're young(didn't think this was strange rabbits
do it too) That you can't even look at the babies until they're at least 2
weeks old or the mother would kill them. As I have (thanks to this list and
to alot of very helpful people) gain more insight into diseas(SP) and proper
care of ferrets. Well, I started talking to her about some of the things that
I have learned. She had no idea about most of the things I was telling her.
To say the least I was shocked by her lack of info. This doesn't make since
to me. I would think that if your going to breed ferrets or any other animal
you would want to know as much as you can before you start!!!

Well, what I think I'm trying to say is that it all depends on the people
running the operation.  There personality's and the care, love they give to
the animals.  The MF facts that someone put out in yesterdays post sickened
me.  You can run a big breeding program without harming the animals.  With
the price of kits in the petstore they should have the $ to take better care
of there breeding stock!!!!

OK if this seems to run on and make little since.  You can blame it on the
painpill and the late hour.  (Big send it back to me if it's not up to par)

Charlie(don't steal treats from the dog! She got my nose and it was bleeding)
Lea(Dennis wake up!!! Charlie's nose is bleeding!!!!)
Riki( I know better)
Kiki(zzzzzzzzz)
Dennis(It's ok now!!! Let me go back to bed)