From:
Erin Blush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 11:26:19 -0400
Hi, List....

I realize this question may be redundant, but I'm at my wit's end concerning
my new ferret's habit of biting.  I recently got 2 ferrets from a friend,
brothers, both a year old....Clyde is wonderful, never bites, very
affectionate....Bandit, however, is another matter....He hates to be held,
bites anything he can get his teeth into (not always, but often enough for
it to be a problem).  I'm a new ferret owner, so I've read some books on
keeping ferrets as pets.  The books say that if a ferret bites, tap him on
the nose or side of the face - not enough to hurt him, just surprise him.
I've done this.  But it doesn't make him let go, it just makes him snap at
the finger that taps him.  I don't want him to equate my fingers with pain
or surprise and have him continue to bite, nor do I want him to become an
unhandleable ferret.  That would make me as miserable as it would make him.
The 2 of them have the run of the house when I'm here, but I keep having to
put Bandit back in his cage because of the biting.  I'm sorry, but it
HURTS!!

Anyway, if anyone can offer suggestions on how to get him to stop, I'd be
very grateful.  I love both of my boys, and would never get rid of Bandit,
but I don't want to have to keep him in his cage all the time......Please
help!

Thanks in advance,
Erin