From:
Dave & Debbie Les <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 01:09:12 -0400
I am pleading with all of you wonderful folks to help us in our efforts to
stop the murder!!!  I am from the Great Lakes Ferret Association (Michigan)
and I have posted as few times seeking info / help regarding Michigan's Kill
and Test Policy.  We need to act fast if we are to save an innocent fuzzy
life!

I just received a call from our president,  Micki Windgate and this is
the horrible story that she related to me:

On Monday, a young woman from Grand Rapids, Michigan who owned two ferrets,
had the neighbor drop by with his two children.  I am not too clear as to
the details of exactly what happened, but one child was bitten by one of her
ferrets and the other child was scratched by the other ferret.  The father
took the children to the doctor's for treatment.  Michigan Department of
Public Health was notified and the county animal control was ordered to
confiscate the animal and have it beheaded and tested.  The ferret was in
the custody of the family's vet who pleaded with animal control based upon
the fact that both animals were up to date with vaccinations , were strictly
house pets, and never had any opportunity to have been exposed to the virus.
Dr. Mary Grace Stobierski (MDPH Epidemiologist) would not listen.  The
horror-filled woman called Miki yesterday and excruciatingly, through her
tears, related that they had killed her pet.  To make matters worse, Dr.
Stobierski is coming after the other one also (for the scratch - or because
they couldn't be positive that they tested the right one).  The young
woman's neighbor was shocked and appalled when he found out that her ferret
was destroyed.

Micki has retained a lawyer some time ago to intervene these matters and I
have been trying to pressure the MDPH into adopting a logical risk
assessment.  Dr. Stobierski is clearly the problem, but, like most of the
public health vets against ferrets, she will not listen to reason or act
rationally.  I have since contacted her superior, James K.  Haveman and also
Senator Christopher Dingell.  Mr.  Haveman's aides have been directed by
Senator Dingell to revue material which I have sent, and to change their
policy to adopt a risk assessment.  So far there has been no action taken.

PLEASE - I AM BEGGING - PLEASE:
Write a COURTEOUS and POLITE message stating your outrage at this deplorable
situation.  Do not attack any individual!!!  You can send the message to
James K.  Haveman, director, Michigan department of Community Health.  His
email address is: ====> [log in to unmask]  Please copy Michigan's Govenor,
John Engler.  His email address is: [log in to unmask]

Remember , please be polite to these gentlemen.  Governor Engler works
closely with the GLFA so we don't want to damage any relationships.  I have
included a copy of a recent post to Mr. Haveman in order to supply you with
some background info.  Please don't copy the letter but feel free to use any
of the info.These people get turned off if they think that they're getting a
form letter.

Dear Mr. Haveman,
As a concerned resident, I must bring a matter to your attention.  I believe
that one of your department workers has gotten herself in an embarrassing
predicament that has serious implications.  I am referring to Dr. Mary Grace
Stobierski and her position on the killing and testing of all domestic
ferrets involved in a bite or scratch incident.  Please be assured that I
have done my homework well and that I have a wealth of supportive documents
and professional opinions to warrant making this request:

I simply ask that you have a conversation with Dr. Stobierski and ask
her the following questions:
1.) Why isn't a risk assessment the underpinnings of MDPH's 'ferret bites to
people policy'.  A risk assessment is the course of action recommended by
experts such as Dr. Charles Rupprecht - CDC (he related this to me
personally), and Dr. Suzanne Jenkins (in her cover letter for the 1996
Rabies Compendium).
2.) Why does Michigan require ferrets be vaccinated yearly against rabies
(at a cost of approximately $25 per vaccination) yet does not recognize the
USDA's approval of IMRAB-3 (94.4% effectiveness vs. 86.7% effectiveness
required for dogs) thereby requiring euthanasia and testing for immunized
ferrets involved in a reported bite?
3.) Why is Michigan's policy inconsistent with other states who adopt risk
assessment and / or quarantine (such as TX, MD, OH, MN, CO, VA, MO, etc.)?
4.) There have been a number of studies of rabies and the domestic ferret.
What studies have been made on livestock and how are the results more
conclusive than the ferret studies thereby warranting a quarantine period
for livestock?
5.) What studies have been made on rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, guinea
pigs, gerbils, hamsters, etc.  that have provided more conclusive evidence
than the ferret study findings?
6.) Why does Dr. Stobierski feel that ferrets are such a risk to public
health that "when a ferret bites a person, we advise that the animal be
immediately euthanized and tested for rabies, regardless of its rabies
vaccination status"?  In all of recorded history, there has never been a
case of a human contracting rabies from a ferre.  In the period from 1989 to
1994, there were 43,038 reported cases of rabies in animals.  Of that
43,038, 928 were dogs, 1,425 were cats, 966 were cattle, 259 were
horses/mules, 70 were sheep/goats, 8 were swine, and 4 were ferrets.
7.) In light of the existing data, how does Dr. Stobierski rationalize the
expense (the cost of transport, testing, and a per animal cost of
approximately $150 plus court costs) to taxpayers?

I ask that you seek logical responses from Dr. Stobierski on the
aforementioned questions.  Based upon her responses, I would ask that you
assess her ability to function in her present position and set policy for
the state of Michigan.  Please inform me of your findings.  I have tried to
refrain from any editorial comments or opinions.  I respectfully request
that you arrive at your own conclusions so that we may discuss this matter
objectively.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry for the length, BIG, but this is an emergency. PLEASE HELP!