From:
"Andrew W.Gould" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 01:16:21 +1000
As a mother of a one year old and carer of a 10 month old who also has 26
ferrets the baby thing is very relevant to me and almost put me off ever
getting a ferret.  Many of the people who come and look at my ferrets to
adopt are aware of the cat and dog mauling incidence and are looking for an
alternative.  The problem is that ferrets still get lumped with rabbits and
Guinea pigs and rats as small cute fuzzies.  Now I know that ferret very
rarely deliberately nibble a baby particularly if the ferret is over 1 year
old.  But I find it far safer for the ferret sake to recommend to anyone
getting a ferret for the first time that this is a vague possibility and
have them consider it before taking one home than have a fuzzy shuttled
between homes of people who through lack of information have made a wrong
choice.

I also own 10 cats and two dogs who fortnightly get their teeth checked and
nails clipped as well as their ears cleaned.  Every month they all have
heartworm and every three month worming tablets.  Once a month in summer
they all get bathes and any other time they need it the rest of the year.
he only scratches or bites I get Are from overexuberant rabbits and rats who
loose their footing and scrabble to hand on.

I know many of you are devoted ferret people and only have ferrets but as a
lover of all animals please be aware that your generalizations of other
animals are what we are trying to avoid being done to ferrets.