From:
Kimberly Graber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 20:24:14 -0400
I have been a member of the FML for about 3 years.  And 99% of the time I am
a lurker.  However, I have had the wonderful opportunity to be involved with
the Fredonia, KS rescue and help in Spokane.  Most of the time I am happy to
sit by and read what is posted without needing to add my 2cents...But not
this time.

I have gotten to a point in reading the FML that there are some people's
posts that I simply skip because I have come to believe that their major
goal in life is to stir things up.  I plain and simply don't need this in my
life, I come to the FML to learn, laugh, cry, and find opportunities to help
fuzzies.  I don't come to be irritated and get into debates with those who's
apparent purpose is not to help ferrets but just to see if they can get a
rise out of those around them.  However, on the count of Jean Smith I feel
that I have valuable input and would be remiss to simply let this go by.

My husband and I live in Pullman WA and work for the University who's Vet
Hospital treated Ms. Smith's ferrets.  Her vet there is our vet.  Through
these connections we offered our assistance to Ms. Smith.  She asked us if
we could pick up several of her ferrets from the Hospital and bring them to
here.  We were glad to help.  While we were at the Hospital. Dr. Stauber
showed us the horrible damage done to the ferrets under his care.  Let me
assure you, I have never seen anything like it.  This was a cruel and
horrible act without comparision!  The evil that created these wounds was
either psychotic at the time of the incident or had never known love or
compassion for living creatures.

We took these ferrets home and loved on them for 3 days until we were able
to drive them home.  They were lovers and it was obvious that they had been
raised by loving hands (not something I can say for all breeder ferrets I
have met).  They interacted with our ferrets several times while in our
home.  (Our ferrets NEVER developed ECE as a result-another rumor associated
with Jean and her ferrets)  And when these fuzzies were returned to Jean
their joy was obvious.  They had definitly missed Mom!  She showed us around
her home and ferret area.  Her Fuzzies all loved her and cuddled on her and
were well treated.  Jean almost cried as she told us about all the kind
people that had helped her.  And then, as we left, this woman, who had been
through so much, took some of her meger supplies and mixed me up a special
batch of duck soup for one of my ailing ferrets.

I don't know who did this horrible thing.  All I know is that I live in a
world where people like OJ go free, parents are the first suspects in their
own child's disappearance, and government agencies that are supported by my
tax dollars can take away my beloved pet.  I'm not ready to believe anything
yet.  Please wait for the whole story.  Don't jump to conclusions because
there are people on this list who have to stir things up, put themselves in
the middle of every situation, and make sure they have the spotlight.  Life
is hard enough...let's not make it harder.

Kimberly Graber