From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:04:27 -0400
First, a big thank you to the 12 or more people who wrote to help me with the
firsts teps of the Slinky (19-mo-old neutered male) and Pogo (8 week old
neutered male) intro problems.  Although there were many different opinions,
I have read and considered all.  For now, I am keeping them somewhat
separate.  Pogo is still really small (his adult teeth are just coming in),
and tries to get away from Slinky whenever possible - whenever Slinky grabs
him, he goes limp and poops, then tries to run as soon as he can.  He's
always shaking afterwards....  So I think time and a little added size will
probably help of this.  I am switching bedding, cages are side by side, etc.,
and Slinky is fascinated by Pogo - so it will all work out in time.

Pogo is unique (to me, anyways) - he is relatively unexploratory, and has yet
to steal anything.  He is content to play in a closed area for a long time
(right now we use the sun porch - its approx 10 x 4, and he only uses one
half of it!).  He is very playful though, and has spent 25 minutes in the
dryer tube, and will spend hours darting at and running away from your hand!

Regarding 8 in 1 new food, I tried a 2-lb bag for Slinky (who has had Iams
kitten his whole life).  He has never shown an interest in raisins, but
loves the 8-in-1!  I thought it might be good for him when he gets older,
since the fat is 15% instead of 22%.  Any thoughts?

Having been on the list for a long time now, I can certainly say it has
grown - but that shows a) the number of new users on the net; and b) the
ever-growing popularity of ferrets.  Old-timers - remember how excited you
were when you first found the list, and had somewhere you could turn to!
Newcomers - make sure you read the FAQ first, to keep it as short as
possible.  And, one way to deal with repeated topics - how about an index
of topics for past issues?

Sorry this is so long... and thanks again for the help...

Best - Mason, Slinky ("Now can I get at him?  You said he was going to be
my toy.."), Pogo ("But this room is so much bigger than my home, dad!!")
and Leila the Cat ("He thinks he's fierce?  I'll show him dominance..")