From:
Alice Kassay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:54:29 -0600
In the past year 2 of my ferrets have died from lymphosarcoma (LSA).  The
first was my 14 month old female sable.  I had one other female ferret
(2years old)at the time.  They were both caged together and played together.
After the first one died, I adopted 2 young ferrets and they were all housed
together.  Within 6 months my 2 year old female developed the same symptoms
and was also diagnosed with LSA.  She died within a few months.  I was
reading a book called Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents with the ferret section
written by Dr. Susan Brown and with regard to lymphosarcoma it said that
there may be a viral link, but that it is not certain.  I've read that there
is definitely a viral cause in cats (FeLV) and cattle.  Now I'm really
worried about my 2 younger ferrets.  Has anyone had any experience with LSA
in multiple ferret households?  The TAMU vets could not shed any light on
the subject.  If anyone knows of any studies that have been done on the
subject, I have access to the Medical Sciences Library and would appreciate
references.  Thanks alot.

Alice