From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS OF GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 00:00:04 -0400
As a rescuer I can understand the deep-seeded frustration associated
w/convenience surrenders in the recent FAD discussions.  I have to deal
w/it, work to remedy the situation when I can, & accept that most of the
time there is no solution because their beloved pets have become an
unwanted inconvenience.  I do my best to give people the benefit of the
doubt because I believe there are legitimate reasons for having to give up
a dear pet - financial, medical, & unfortunate changes in ones situation
that are beyond their control.  You have to admit though, that
inconvenience is hardly acceptable.  Whether it's a parent surrendering a
child's discarded living toy, not being able to take the ferret to the new
apartment of choice because they don't allow pets, the new pet not being
compatible with the current ferret, or not having the time, it's all an
overcomeable inconvenience.  It's a matter of how dedicated you are to
keeping the pet you claim to care about.  Any less is just lip service.

*****
For the young people who feel they've had to defend themselves, I commend
you.  You're obviously responsible.  Understand that the comments aren't
directed at responsible young adults, but the great number of our
surrenders that come from kids who have lost interest in their pets.

*****
Renee, after following the FAD discussion, I had to fulfill my heart's
overwhelming passion & respond to your misguided belief that a rescuer
has an unfulfilled need gratify.  The point of your post was ludicrous.

Our tiresome, endless drivel is an attempt to enlighten the public that
problems can be worked through, that pets, especially ferrets, do suffer
when abandoned, & that pets are a responsibility that should not be
considered so casually disposable.  Abandoned, by the way, is an excellent
description since most surrendering owners say "I have to get rid of my
ferret(s)" & could just short of care less what happened to it, as long
as they don't have to deal w/it anymore.

Personally, I do rescue to help prevent unnecessary death & suffering.
Ferret Business takes in ferrets that need a place to go until they can be
placed in loving, permanent homes.  I would love nothing more than if there
were no fosters & I could come home & devote my time & energy to my own
pets.  I could do w/out having to clean all the additional cages, the added
laundry, the weekly vet visits, the trips to animal controls to pick up
dumped ferrets, my home becoming a warehouse for merchandise I have to sell
to support the medical expenses, having to open my home to strangers, the
hours of time I have to spend on the phone every night, medicating, hand
feeding, all the dumped ferrets I've had to euthanize or have died in my
care & the tears & heartbreak that goes with it, my time, the excuses, &
having to justify why I choose to do rescue to people who don't, & quite
honestly will never have a clue.  But according to your post, if all the
rescues closed their doors today, all the homeless animals would go away.
Maybe you haven't noticed that rescuers aren't soliciting people to give up
their pets, rescuers are opening up their homes & hearts to provide a
caring environment for the homeless animals that have nowhere else to go.

It's become acceptable in our society that nothing is ever anyones personal
responsibility.  While I do accept the excuses, I don't have to like it.

*****
My heartfelt sympathies for those who have known the agony of loss & the
little ones who are no longer w/us.  And a special acknowledgement for
the rescuers & their fosters.  Only the little ones w/no voices, who die
because they're too inconvenient for the owners who claim to care, know
their tears.

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis) n.  1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
2 Info about ferret care & ownership.  3 What a ferret does.
4 A collection of ferrets.  5 A direct result of ferret math.
/That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./
FERRET BUSINESS of GA is a GA nonprofit corporation & is licensed by the
GA Dept. of Agriculture as an animal shelter