From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:23:16 -0500
> .....The abdominal mass turned out to be an extremely large and very
>solid liver tumor which was successfully removed along with a lobe of his
>liver.  What is amazing is the size of the mass - 2 cm in height, 6 cm
>in length and 4 cm in width and weighed 2.5 ounces.  ...
>
>I was just curious if anyone else on the list has every had a ferret
>develop such a large abdominal mass, if so did it recur and what the
>pathology was?

Dear X:

Wait for the results.....

If you want to play the odds, the two most likely possibilities here are
invasive adrenal carcinoma (the right adrenal sits right next to the
liver) and a hepatoma - these are generally the largest.  Hepatocellular
adenocarcinomas are generally not as large.

Lymphoma is the most common neoplasm of the liver in ferrets, but it
generally infiltrates and enlarges the whole liver, not just one lobe.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM