From:
paula ann edgar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 19:13:12 -0700
Oops.. forgot about the swimming part of that last post, sorry.

Kitka has always been a real water baby. Charlotte is *not*. Yesterday
Kitka was up on the kitchen counter when I filled up the base of our rice
steamer. It is about 2 inches deep and 8 inches in diameter. She was
interested! She waltzed right over and put her whole head and two front
feet under water. Eyes open and everything. She loves water, but hates
baths. Go figure. I remembered reading about someone putting a shallow
pan of water on the floor (a couple of inches deep) and dropping raisins
in. The ferret I read about would retrieve them from the bottom of the
container. My husband and I wanted to try this ever since we read about
it and now was the time! I put a big flat-bottomed tupperwareish thing on
the floor with a small towel underneath. Kitka was immediately standing
in it and drinking as much as one ferret can. It worked, she got the
raisins out! It took several tries before either of them figured out that
the raisins we *in* the water. I don't think they see very well.
Charlotte, however, did not think a measly raisin was worth the indignity
of getting that wet. She got a dry one for considering it though. The two
of them are SO different. I am constantly amazed! Thanks for listening.