From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:49:37 -0500
We've adapted our intake policy slightly since beginning this ride
back in '04 due to the large number of vaccine reactions. Every
attempt to secure prior medical records are made so the kids aren't
unnecessarily over vaccinated. But of course, most times there are no
records because they'd never seen a Veterinarian or they come in from
Animal Control/SPCA and there is no info given or collected (..now
this really chaps my ass: owner surrenders at the SPCA that don't even
provide the ferrets name.. sheesh! ).

Upon intake we ADV test, give a rabies vaccine & do a distemper titer.
Then, depending on the titer results we discuss the options with our
Veterinarian. In our Adoption Contract we recommend they keep them
current. Unfortunately, once they are adopted keeping tabs on them
becomes a daunting task but we try to stay in touch. Most are kept
current and stay with the same clinic the shelter uses.

I hope this helps.

Debbie Saunders
Roanoke, VA

Visit us on PetFinders: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/VA370.htm