From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:01:11 -0500
>From:    Carlos Marcial <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bear's mom AGAIN - ANGRY
>
>My younger son is very upset.  The owner of the dog (if I may call him
>that - a Jack Russell terrier) told him: "It's tough, things like this
>happen in life, you gotta get used to it.  I'm sorry, but it happened, it
>was instinct, and your pet was there in his way."  How COLD can someone
>be?????  His pet was in the way?????  He REFUSES to pay the vet bill or
>even pay us the money for a new ferret.  He feels it's our responsibility
>to pay this bill, that I had my son's ferret running around outside loose.
>Sure, he was loose, but he WAS NOT by any means UNSUPERVISED.

What a terrible tragedy.  I can't even begin to imagine how you must
feel to see that happen before your very eyes.  You have my most sincere
condolences.

I know it wouldn't be much consolation, but most places have "leash" laws
for dogs (but not cats or ferrets) and you'd probably easily win a small
claims court case to recover the cost of the vet bill.  Unless you're in
the boonies, you probably have one of these ordinances in your area.  It
won't bring Bear back, but whatever money you could squeeze out of that
jerk might be worth the effort.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*