From:
Brandy Ashmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 18:32:43 -0500
Tusk got sick the other day.  I walked in their room to check on them and
he was making a funny noise.  One I have never heard.  I was worried, so I
walked over to him.  Then he vomited for the first time.  Over the next 15
minutes, while I was on the phone, he vomited about 10 to 15 times.  He was
shaking his head and pawing at his mouth, while making these awful noises.
I have stains 2 ft up my walls from his episode.

It was 1:00 in the morning, so I called my normal vet, who has had ferrets,
and who has known my ferrets since 6 weeks of age.  The Dr. on call didn't
know anything about ferrets and wouldn't help.  I was crying like crazy and
finally pleaded, "please help me.  Please get hold of someone who can".

I had to hang up on him and start called different vets in the area who
knew about ferrets.

Tusk, is fine, he was X-rade, and examaned,and is fine.  That wasn't the
point.  Everything I have ever read about ferrets, is to call your vet when
the vomit, because they don't vomit often.  The first vet I talked to made
fun of me.  Maybe animals aren't important to him, but these are my babies.
I was so scared.

How do I make sure my ferrets will get the best treatment?  If my normal
vet is not on call, how do I know a backup vet will be on call?

And do all ferrets act like they are dying when they vomit, cause Tusk did
and it scared me so bad.

Brandy Jean, ZeppLynn, Tusk, and Mx