From:
Lorraine Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:00:52 -0700
>Dont mutilate your ferrets in order to counter your own inadequacies,
>their health will suffer, their life expectancy will be lowered, and
>they will be succeptable to more problems than natural ferrets.

Tim -

I don't think there is any medical information that accurately confirms
this one way or another.  Any animal faces different health risks when
they are neutered vs. when they are whole, however, from what I've read
the balance of these risks is about even.

Mother nature generally only intended for any species to live long enough
to reproduce and bring forth the next generation.  She hasn't got anything
"wrong", she just was never concerned with providing an extra long life
for any species except where it contributes to breeding success.  In fact
she created illnesses to cull species and keep the only healthiest
specimens breeding.

In some cases taking away "breeding" hormones reduces animal stress
levels and promotes longevity as the animal is no longer subject to the
physiological stress that breeding cycles can bring on.  Stress brought
on by breeding cycles can knock an animals immune system down and make
them susceptible to all sorts as things as well.  This is one thing that
a "fixed" animal does not have to deal with.  However, yes there is
evidence that the "sex" hormones protect against some other forms of
illnesses.

In essence what I'm saying is that it's a crap shoot either way.

My 2 cents worth.

Lorraine