From:
"M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 12:09:20 -0700
Hi! Just another quick word about raisins.

I also think that raisins are not the ideal treat for ferrets, but NOT
because of the sugar, but because ferrets are carnivores by nature, not
herbivores or even omnivores.

The sugars in raisins (natural pectin and fructose) are vastly different
from the sugar we humans consume.  The refined sugar we eat is from
sugarcane, not fruit.  If you compare the make-up of fructose and sugar, you
will notice the difference (please excuse the lack of subscripts -- and
imagine that the numbers are subscripted!):

Fructose:  C6H12O6
The sugar we consume in junk food, etc. (aka sucrose): C12H22O11

I just wanted to point this out because I think it is important to note that
the sugar in fruits IS NOT the same as what is in junk foods -- so don't all
of you out there start saying you won't eat fruit since it has sugar in it!
:)

In other words, I think the fact that raisins are a fruit is what is harmful
to your ferret, not the fact that they have natural sugar.

Another FML writer was correct in pointing out they should be just treats --
but so should other foods, including Linatone, which can also be harmful in
excess.  Remember that meat-based foods, too, are probably a safer bet.  I
have heard that Pounce Cat Treats (other than fish flavor) are good treats
for ferrets, so maybe you can try those instead; or try giving your ferret
one raisin a week and a cat treat two times a week, as an example.

I also believe raisins are dangerous in excess, but I did want to point out
that fruit sugar and sugar are not the same.  :)

I hope this helps!