From:
"Craig W. Lovell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 20:03:43 -0600
Over the last couple of days, I've noticed Sam (male, neutered, 7 1/2 years
old) has been having difficulties urinating.  Sometimes, he squeaks or
groans, which makes me think that it hurts to urinate.  I just got back from
the vet a couple of hours ago.  Two X-rays (one from the side, one with him
on his back) show a rather enlarged spleen.  My vet is thinking that this is
what is causing the problem, as some of the internal organs are pushed out
of their normal positions.

When Sam does go to the bathroom, it doesn't seem to take him longer to go;
and his poops are normal.  There weren't any bladder stones apparent on the
X-ray.  He also appears to be developing adrenaloma; his rear end is bald,
in this funny-looking square patch.  My vet would like me to try to get a
urine sample, to see if there are any kinds of crystals in there.

Sam gets plenty of water, and is fed a mixture of Iams kitten, and Science
Diet Feline Maintenance.  My other ferret, Fuzz, keeps him occupied during
playtime.  I have a fan that cools the two of them, while they are in their
cage (live in Arizona).

I'm looking for other solutions, until I can get enough money for
exploratory surgery.  Right now, I have a prescription mixture of
Amoxicillin and a steroid, just in case there is some inflammation due to a
low-grade infection.  My vet recommended an ultrasound exam, which I'm
trying to avoid.  I'd prefer that the mone for the ultrasound just go
directly to surgery.

Any opinions/suggestions welcome !

Craig