From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:27:43 -0800
>From:    Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferret Shows

I'll quote from our friend Roger and not mention another writer although
Roger didn't start the thread and didn't say the odd things.

I'm not going to bother with nots about a specific show being blasted but
will about the show Roger talks about.

>>In looking back at this "show" one must ask what benefit accrued to the
>>ferrets?
>To a degree, show are an ego trip for the owners of ther ferrets.

Do not forget the exposure these shows give ferrets in general.  Shows are
almost guaranteed to be positive exposure.  No potential rabies involvment.
You can get the news media to show up.  I've been photographed with many
ferrets and published in several newspapers while judging at shows.  Been on
the 10PM news here in the DC area as well.  Check our web site for scans of
that coverage.

It is educational for the exhibitors.  Proper care as defined in a seperate
post is important to do well at shows.  There are seminars at some shows
teaching this care and grooming.  Less formally we and several others help
out those that ask.  Just look for the couple with pony-tails and say "Hi!".

In some case it gives ferret owners a chance to show their appreciation to
ferret benefactors.  At a Baltimore show a while back the legislator that
introduced a bill aiding ferrets was honored.  She loved it.  She got to
meet the folks she only knew from photos and phone calls.

It gives ferret organizations a chance to distribute information.  At shows
info on domestic ferrets and Black footed ferrets is available.  At the
Maryland area shows the group that worked with the above mentioned
legislator got information out to those who needed to know how to protect
their ferrets.

And darn it.  Its fun.  Obviously we owners get something out of it.  There
is NOTHING wrong with that.

>Last year, the GCFA show had about 160 ferrets and the show ran two hours
>beyond its expected closing time.  This year, we had 219 ferrets registered.
>We moved to a larger show hall (you could park a 777 iin it!) started an
>hour earlier and finished on time.

And your judges were EXHAUSTED!  Felt great to accomplish though.  The new
hall was a big improvement.

200 ferrets is a LOT for a judge to deal with.  Consider 6 judges splitting
the work if you want that many.  We each judged less than 200 after the
specialty ring ferrets and scratches were counted.

>>Are we to also eventually produce essentially deformed ferrets,
>>like dogs and cats, for the sole purpose of special physical show
>>characteristics?  Golly, I hope not.

>I hope not.

Don't blame the shows.  Blame the judges in dogs and cats.  The AFA in
particular is avoiding the trend to many many colors and special body shapes
for this very reason.  If the standard is defined as a body and such that is
conducive to a healthy ferret and it is judged that way than it DETERS
producing deformed ferrets.

>From:    Billy Ramos <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Nutrition

I agree with your assessments of the details.  Too bad "good breeders" get
blemished by "bad breeders".  Some of us do not pretend to be vets, vet
techs or dieticians.  In our case we try to pass along what we learn from
those folks.

though...
>Also Eukanuba contains Ethoxaquin,

Are you sure they still do?  The Iams company took it out of their IAMS
brands recently.

>I am more impressed with those who spend their days making efforts to
>find homes for hundreds of homeless fuzzies in shelters.

We are usually the same people.  Most of the breeders we know also take in
and place the homeless.  But we learn far more about ferrets through our
breeding than through our shelter.

>Subject: Re: 10,000 killed ferrets
>[Moderator's note: Mr. Lipinski is not a breeder -- I believe that was
>a somewhat hypothetical scenario to get our attention.  BIG]

He claims he is a breeder but he was using a literary effect to reach and
pluck emotional heartstrings.  He was "pretending" to be a different type
of breeder normally referd to as a ranch.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]