From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:49:30 -0700
>From:    "Benjamin A. Otten" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Purcell Ferret Book
>Great another useless book for veterinarians to spend money on.
>If it is truely usable to the lay person then "Essentials of pet ferrets -
>A Veterinarian's guide for ferret owners would have been a better title.

That was pretty harsh.  To both the author and us non-vets.  Are you quite
sure that all 'lay' people can't derive benefit from the best veterinary
books?  I use my Fox (both editions) and Hilyer-Quisenberry books to help
me better understand the ferrets and their needs.  I don't pretend to be
able to do mine own surgeries or anything but at least some of the vets we
use seem to appreciate ferret owners that aren't completely clueless.  We
fully appreciate that the vets have far more experience and knowledge than
we 'lay' people so we don't presume that our reading one (or three) books
makes us experts.  The expert in my family was my grandfather.  Some of us
'lay' people do have strong science or health profession backgrounds.
Although there are some of us 'lay' people do have oversized egos and
think we know more than we do, that doesn't mean all of us that read even
the best vet books.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian