From:
Jeb Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1993 15:53:01 -0500
HELP!  We need YOUR letters!

Here in New York City there is an administrative ruling that you
may not keep ferrets, though they are welcome in the rest of the
state.  It is claimed that they are dangerous and disease carrying.

In the past representatives of the Health Dept. have shown up at
people's doors, threatened them with jail if they failed to
immediately surrender their ferret, and then destroyed the
ferret within 24 hours.  Keep in mind this is not a law, just a
bureaucratic nightmare.  It doesn't seem right to many of us.  So
we're fighting it in court!

This past Thursday, January 22nd, the judge in the case gave the
defendant an ultimatum.... either give up the ferret or he'd rule
in favor of the City.  This means the City gets the ferret (they
kill them here), $130,000 fine for the owner, and the Health
Department has a right to knock on your door, take your ferret,
fine you, and threaten you with jail!  It also means that the
City will have a precedent allowing them to do this to anyone,
anytime.  Also anti-ferret people outside of New York City will
use this legal precedent against ferret owners everywhere.

   ***********************
Here's what we need you to do.  Please send a polite, sincere,
letter to the judge before February 10th.  Be brief, explaining
your interest, ownership and experience with ferrets.  Note why
you feel the negation of the anti-ferret administrative rule is
important.  [New Yorkers, don't mention that you own a ferret.
Say instead something along the lines of your having direct
experience with them but that fear of reprisal from the Health
Dept. means you can't actually have such a pet anymore.]  DO NOT
send insulting or rude comments!  We feel this judge will react
very, very negatively to such letters.  Our only hope is for the
judge to understand that there are many, many rational people out
there who will be ill-served if we lose this case.

Send your letters to:

Judge James Hutcherson
Brooklyn Supreme Court
360 Adam Street
Brooklyn, NY  11201

Thanks for your help.  If we win it will be a precedent for all
of us to use in the future.

-Jeb