From:
Joyce Henkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:55:31 -0600
Well, I thought it would never happen but I spent well over 2 1/2 hours at
the emergency vet center last night and a good chunk of change But it was
well worth it.

When I got home last night I decided that since the weather was getting
warmer (50's-60's) that I take the boys out for awhile to get some fresh
air and do some digging which they enjoyed tremendously.  I brought them in
after a half hour and left their collars on because they wanted to get into
some good play time.  We were sitting around watching and listening to the
boys play.  I saw Tye run out from behind the chair they were playing and
wonder where Bo was.  I noticed that he was very limp, unresponsive, not
moving, had a wet belly.  I carefully picked him up and placed him on the
couch, grabbed the phone and called the vet.  Well, it happened to be after
hours and the girl who answered gave me another number to call.  Called
that number and spoke with a vet who said to give him some karo syrup or
honey about a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp if I could get him to take it and call back on
his status in 10 minutes.  In that time, Amy (the gal who didn't seem to
tolerate the boys) got the carrier, fixed it up, grabbed the honey bottle
and started giving Bo some honey.  He started to come around but had a
difficult time in getting up especially the front quarters.  I called the
vet back and was informed that she was called home on a family emergency and
was given another number to call.  Thankfully this vet center was only two
miles from the house.  Gave them all of the info and said I was on my way.
Amy volunteered to take me there as Bo would be more comfortable being held
than stuck in the carrier.  I grabbed Bo, blankets, and carrier just in case
and off we took.

They evaluated him after we were waiting for the doctors to finish their
rounds and reports (I got there at shift change).  Blood work and radiograph
(xray) was recommended to further find out what was wrong.  Results: glucose
was elevated but thought it was due to the honey we had given him earlier
and xray showed no fractures but the er vet thought that it could be a
sprain/strain in his left shoulder.  Recommendation -- complete bed rest for
a week, no play time, no toys, no hammocks.  If not better in a week then he
has to be rechecked to see what is going on.  They had to give him a pain
killer so they could do the xray and blood work.  I got up around 1:30 and
checked on him and gave him a little food and water as instructed.

This morning he tried to get out of the carrier and Tye wanted to know where
his buddy was all night.  I never thought one would miss the other that
much.  Bo is doing much better and I will keep you posted on his condition.

Joyce
Bo (Mommy, I don't feel so good and I want to play)
Tye (Where's Bo, why can't he come out and play)