From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:18:37 -0400
Condolences to those who's fuzzbutts are now sharing those beautiful green
meadows with Skeeter.  An extra shoulder for those who are struggling from
one day to the next.  My heart knows your burden.

Normally, my posts are light, airy and require a moment's thought before
the humor slaps you in the face.  Today, the humor is on hold.

Misti-Ferret as an Adrenal Tumor.  Her health took a severe nose-dive last
night.  I stayed up all night, sitting with her.  Her vulva swelled up to
three times it's normal size and began exuding a very nasty-smelling
discharge.  Her body became very hot, then began to cool down way too far.
She started having diarrhea, but ran out of fluids.  I gave her water
through a syringe, but she was just too weak to take in enough.  She was
obviously in serious trouble.

This morning, I took her to my vet.  My vet has seen ferrets in the past
and hasn't had any problems with them.  However, this was beyond the scope
of her knowledge.  She referred me to another vet who has performed several
adrenal surgeries.  However, before sending us on our way, she gave
Misty-Ferret some Sub-Q fluids to help relieve some of her stress.

On arrival at the new vet, she was examined.  Her hair loss is extremely
atypical, so there were concerns over just what was wrong with her.  She
didn't respond to maple syrup, ferretvite, or ferretone.  She *wanted* to
get up and walk around (and find a litterbox!) but she was just too weak
and would slowly sag to the tabletop after just a few steps.

The doctor said that several things *could* be wrong, but the first thing
he would check was her adrenal glands.  He said that the fastest method was
to perform an ultra-sound test (which detected a larger-than-normal adrenal
gland).  However, he was unfamiliar with Lupron and the uses for it.

Thanks to Ferret Central, I downloaded the entire article on Adrenal
disease and sent it to him.  He printed it out and was going to study it
this evening (Friday night) to see just what all was discussed.  He was
also going to contact the doctors referred to in that article, to see what
further information he could get, before proceeding further.

Then came the really bad news.  The Cost.  For the tests (including
ultra-sound and blood work), the surgery, the over-the-weekend stay, the
I.V. fluids and the exam, the price is estimated at $650.  If it's proved a
viable alternative, there is a possibility that the Lupron treatment may
reduce this bill somewhat, but that is not known at this time.  The catch
here, is that I don't have $650.  They don't extend credit.  I am not sure
what to do at this point.

Misti-Ferret is my first ferret.  She's a tough little girl.  She stands up
to anyone, at any time.  She made friends with Hershey (the baby ferret
found on the streets of Philadelphia) and has continued to play with him
when no one else would.  She taught Fuzzer how to be a ferret when he was
just a tiny little kit.  When my Mom came to visit for a few days, she
would curl up with her at night and sleep next to her pillow.  I really,
really need her to get through this.

I guess what I'm looking for, is advice as to what options are available to
me.  I don't want her put to sleep.  I don't want her to suffer like she
did last night.  There will not be any money coming in anytime in the near
future that will cover this bill.  So far, only testing has been done and I
could probably borrow enough to pay for that.  But I need alternatives (if
any exist) before Monday.  The vet is sympathetic, but can't afford to
perform surgery or perform other expensive procedures without guarantee of
payment.  I understand his position, but that doesn't help me.

Please...if anyone has ideas...if anyone can point me somewhere that can
help in any way, it would be very much appreciated.

Todd and the (Very worried) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns! :(

---
http://users.success.net/toddl/