From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:50:55 EST
   ::Ferrets are playing about when they get an unexpected visit from a
   great Robed One.  They run to her and are so excited they try to ride
   her robe, and dance all about her feet.  The Oracle dances about with
   them, and then notices one ferret looking at a group of ferrets in the
   far off distance sadly::

RO: Why are those ferrets not coming over here?  Why are they staying so
far away?

Ferret: They have ADV.  They do not want to get us sick, or get ADV on
your robe.

RO: Awe, I'm sorry.  There are so many of them!

Ferret: Yeah we know.  We have lots of friends over there.  More and more
of our friends are having to stay away from us because they are scared of
getting us sick.  They keep leaving.  Some go to ADV shelters, some go to
the bridge but they always leave one way or another.

RO: I don't want any more ferrets to get ADV.  It's all so sad.

Ferret: Yeah its scary for us.  I think one of the ways we can stop it
from spreading so much is to spread public awareness and education faster
than the disease.

RO: Well I've been trying, Wolfys' tried, and so many people are trying.

Ferret: I know and it's really helped.  When people test, are aware of it,
and take proper precautions it saves many, many ferret lives.  But it's
still spreading some.

RO: I don't know what else to do besides talk about it to people.  I mean
I try to do the right things myself, but so many people either don't know
about it, don't understand it, or have the wrong facts.  I wish there was
another way to get the word out to people.

Ferret: Well, actually right now there is.  Ferret lovers have come up
with the idea to build a huge ADV Memory Quilt.  And you can help even if
you can't sew or even if you don't have an ADV ferret.

RO: Quilt?  I don't get it.

Ferret: Well see if we build huge quilts and have them tour the country
at various functions it will get noticed.  ADV will get noticed.  You
see each square will include Name, State of residence of an ADV positive
ferret no matter if they now live at the bridge or are living with us.
And it might be ok to list any description of the ferret which might make
the square more personalized (examples might be the color of ferret,
markings, likes, dislikes, etc., something like that).  You know then when
someone sees it, they will see that ADV is all over, that it is among us,
and how far reaching it really is.

RO: Like a visual slap of reality.  I get it now.  How can people help?

Ferret: Well you can send names and info on ADV positive ferrets..  owners
can remain anonymous.  Or you can sew squares and send them to those that
are putting this together.

RO: Well that's easy.  I don't know ADV positive ferrets except maybe my
friend Judy Gronwalds babies.  I know "of" ADV positive ferrets, but have
only met a few people that I know the names, etc.  So like, if they are
already represented what can I do?

Ferret: Spread the word.

RO: Easy enough!  ::little paw to pinky high five:: Okay who do we contact
and all that?

Ferret: The quilt squares should be 12 x 12 on 100% cotton fabric, and
should be forwarded to:

LIN MILLER
5019 SW 26 DR
PORTLAND, OR 97201

But you know what?  I'm just a ferret and I don't know all the details
really.  So if you want more information it would really be good if you
wrote [log in to unmask]

RO: OH Alicia D?  I met her at the Symposium.  She seemed really neato.

Ferret: Yeah she is, and there are others that have helped in coming up
with this idea and putting it into action.

RO: I need to go... shake hairballs at people, dance, and do all that kind
of Oracle work ya know.  Have fun playing today.

   ::The Oracle looks over at the large group of far off ferrets, then
   back at the ferrets close by.  And right before her one of the close
   ferrets sadly walks away from the playing group to join the others in
   the ADV group.  The Oracle goes off to write her friend Judy to see if
   her ADV positive ferrets want to be represented, and to spread the
   word of the tiny ferret she spoke to::

The Ferret Oracle