From:
Maryann Liguori <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:01:07 EDT
My lovely little boy, Farkus (1 1/2 yr old), has diabetes.  It was
diagnosed when I brought him to the vet with what we later found to be a
severe blockage.  They took blood and found his sugar level very high.
This was Monday night.  I had to take him back Tuesday night to confirm
the diagnosis with a urinalysis and they admitted him right there.

What I've been told so far is that diabetes is difficult to treat in
ferrets because it is so rare.  They don't always respond to insulin
treatment and even if they do, its not a guarantee that they will keep
responding.  Another problem is that it is difficult to determine the
proper insulin levels since it is difficult to keep taken blood to record
sugar levels.  Their veins collapse easily.  In this case, Farkus is on IV
fluids to get his weight back up.  He had lost alot of weight and was
dehydrated when we brought him in.  They are using his one good vein for
the IV.  They also tell me that one small miscalculation could kill him....

So far, through careful trial and testing, they have stabilized his blood
sugar, although it is still a little high.  They are trying a slightly
larger dose today to see if they can now bring it down.  *sigh*

That's one part of the problem.  The other problem is they can't seem to
clear the Ketones out of his urine.  I'm consulting with his doctor
tonite...and that's one question I have.  I don't understand why.

According to our doctor, ferret diabetes is so rare in ferrets that there
is virtually no research on it and thus no set way to treat it.

Does ANYONE have any info or experience on this?

Thank you and please keep us in your thoughts...

Thank you..
Maryann