From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 21:47:18 +0000
The following was a final project that a teacher I know assigned to her
honors class at the beginning of the year.  I asked the parents to allow
me to post it to the FML, since it has a few of us in it.  They only asked
that their son's name and friend's name be removed, and I did.

The paper had to be written about a person or people you respect and why.
The only rule it had to be someone you just met, and not your parents, or
any of their friends, or anyone they worked with.  (How she planned to
find out who they were writing about is beyond me.)

 --------------------------------------

This was easier than I thought it would be.  The following are events that
made me decide that the people I respect the most are people who run ferret
shelter.

XXXXXXXXX was planning to go to a ferret shelter, and I figured I'd go for
the ride.  She first made a few calls and got information, and locations of
shelters.  (Ferret shelters, thes folks had to be nuts.)

I called a few places also, so I could get the info, then we visited a
shelter for the first time, with our parents.  We weren't allowed to take a
ferret that night (thank God!  I don't want the responsibility) but given
more info and our parents agreed that in one week XXXXXX and I would return
to clean litter boxes and play with the ferrets.  We were told it would be
like a month worth of litter box cleaning in one day.

At first I thought this woman at Ferrets Unlimited was just a crazy lady
with a big heart, so I called Bev Fox from North Coast Ferret Shelter.
They both answered my questions and were very honest with me.

Then I thought, no these two a just a couple of local fanatics and decided
to call a few other shelters in the U.S.

I called Linda Harrah, of Ferret Sense, I talked to a wonderful lady with
Ferret Wise, and subscribed to the "FML".

The "FML" is a mailing list for ferret owners that post problems, stories
and have debates.  All these people are dedicated to their pets.  Just
incredible.  (Our debate team could learn a lesson or two from these people)
I learned a few new terms, to flame someone is to burn them verbally for
their opinion if you disagree with it or their practices, asbestos
underwear, go ahead and flame me I am ready for it.

The big day came and XXXXXXX and I went to see if we would make good "ferret
parents".  Jean told us it was like having a permanent two year old.

There were 40 ferrets in the house.  All of various ages and attitudes, and
alot of them with handicaps.  We cleaned the litter boxes.  I thought we had
to dump them and we are done, nope, she made us disinfect them, put fresh
litter in , change all the bedding, then sweep and mop the floor in the
shelter room.  After we did that, we played with the ferrets.

During this time, the phone rang about every half hour, and people were
asking questions, just like I did.  Then a woman showed up with two ferrets
she wanted to drop off.

They were really sick.  Something called ECE - it is a virus that causes
the runs and can kill the ferret.

They both were dehydrated and she gave them fluids with an IV, then force
fed them Duck Soup (Ferret Chicken Soup), and cuddled them up just to repeat
the process in a couple of hours.  One was in better shape then the other.
The little female was dying, I think the woman that dropped them off knew
that.  She was held and petted until she died.  Boy was that sad.  All the
time the phone was ringing, and people that knew how to take care of ferrets
were calling to help.  To try to find a way to save the little female, but
I think they all knew she would die.

Then we got to go home, and I was told I wouldn't make a good ferret owner,
I just wasn't responsible enough, (she didn't have to tell me that, I am a
teenager, I am not suppose to be responsible).  XXXXXXX on the other hand
would make a good ferret owner, she was more into ferrets anyway, and she
like animals.  Ferrets are cute, but too much work.

Then I called Bev Fox and talked to her again.  She told me the same thing
just by talking to me over the phone, boy was I impressed.  And she tells
you like it is, no holds barred.  WOW!

The more I talked to these people, and the more I got to see, I realized
they do this because of their love for ferrets.  I was nosey and looked
through the vet bills for the one shelter (I volunteered to file them)
last year's total was $2750.00!  That doesn't even count food for them.

These people the first thing they take care of in the morning is ferrets,
the last thing before bed is ferrets, the care, handling, feeding.  They
live ferrets 24 hours a day.  Dedicated, everyone of them, and even though
they have all this stuff going on they take time to help other ferret owners
and each other.  And most of these shelter operators have full time jobs.

You cannot help but respect these people, they are dedicate, big hearted,
hardworking.  They do everything for "The love of a ferret." Running a
shelter is difficult, expensive, and time consuming, yet they do it.  They
put the ferrets before any personal need, and go out of their way to help
owners.

They are also intuitive, because I shouldn't even own a gold fish - after
all I am a teenager.  But I did find a stuffed ferret, so that is my ferret,
can't kill it!

Jean Caputo-Lee