From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:05:19 -0400
>I read that it's said the protocol usually has no effect if a ferret
>has already been on Pred; however, I sucessfully got a ferret to go
>into remission with Tufts protocol who was already on Prednisone,

Is there an actual mechanism for that, a postulated mechanism, or
is it just speculation? The reason I ask is because I have a vague
recollection of hearing that once before but only as a speculation
by a ferret person, not as anything any oncologist has postulated or
explained so I'd like to know more about the concept.

>just stopped giving it to her the day she started chemo. I know we
>were one of the lucky ones.

Even in the early years there were some individuals who were reported
as going into remission. I haven't followed the later ones but the
earlier ones fit into four camps:
1. Some had spontaneous remissions.
2. Some may never have had lymphoma in the first place, but may have
instead had chronic infections because they never had biopsies, only
visual exams and blood work. There are some infections and other health
problems which also drive up white counts in blood work so the vet who
HAD postulated that lymphoma could be diagnosed that way did some
back-pedaling later and tried hard to re-educate people.

BTW, there is even one condition (myofasciitis) that drives the white
blood cell count up a lot higher than lymphoma does. People here can
read more about that here:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/emerging-disease-dim.aspx>
 or
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/media/ferrets/ferret-health/emerging-disease-dim.aspx.pdf>
3. One remission was attributed to an herbal preparation.
4. Some who were treated with chemo protocols went into remission (but
not anywhere as many as seem to be reported to apparently be doing so
with Dr. Joerg Mayer's Tuft's gentler Chemo Protocol for ferrets with
lymphoma. Dr. Mayer will be speaking in the November IFC Symposium:
http://www.ferretcongress.org/
specifically
http://www.ferretcongress.org/sym2008/default.html
The ferrets in the early years who went into remission in those early
years were pretty much invariably ferrets who were in their primes,
usually about 3 years old plus or minus a bit more than a year.
Remember that is NOT carefully collected data but is just based on what
a few people shared from their own experiences so it must be taken with
a boulder of salt, though it may be worth keeping in the back of one's
head as something that warrants a more thorough look. Certainly, in
humans age can affect some malignancies, with some worse at older ages
and some worse at younger ages.

>As an owner who has had nearly all of my personal (and rescue ferrets)
>pass away of lymphoma as opposed to any other disease, I am not
>surprised by your numbers.

Lymphoma has been our single most common cause of ferret deaths,
largely because we have had two bouts of the clumping form of lymphoma
which may be caused by a viral exposure approximately 3 years (again,
it is over a range of time) before the lymphoma appears. To learn more:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG8921
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/Lymphoma_Ferrets.pdf
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG2260

Sukie (not a vet)