From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:10:57 -0400
Mandy-

I applaud your researching ferrets BEFORE getting one.  If we had more
responsible ferret yearners like you, we would have a lot less ferrets being
bought on impulse and then being dumped in shelters (if they're lucky--the
unlucky ones end up being abandoned in the woods or on the streets).

Now the bad news.  When my daughter wanted a ferret two years ago, I told
her that she would have to get together quite a bit of money.  (The good
news is that I helped her with quite a bit of rolled coins that I had laying
around.) She used birthday money, several allowances, and money she had
earned by doing odd jobs.  We got $300.00 and used it all.  Here's how it
broke down, and why we needed so much (and some ideas on how you can maybe
get away cheaper).

$125.00 for the ferret (we didn't know about nearby shelters--more on that
        later)
$100.00 for the cage  (we got bigger than we needed--but added more ferrets
        later, so it was a good idea)
$75.00  for the visits to the vet

As you can see, we were already up to the $300, without even buying any food
or toys.  Since I was a willing participant, I helped her out with those
things.  Since your Mom is lukewarm at best, you will probably need to cover
all those things yourself.  Here are some ways you can get away cheaper.

Ask for information on the nearest ferret shelter.  Since you are committed
to giving good care, you may even get a break on the usual adoption fee, or
be able to work out payments.  An shelter ferret may be more calm, and they
are usually so happy to be in a home that they are extra loving.  You Mom
will probably like that.  Adoption fees run from $40 to $80 in New Jersey,
depending on what shelter you go to.  You may be able to get a second hand
cage through the shelter for a much lower cost than I paid for a new large
deluxe cage.  But try to get one a little larger than the bare minimum.  My
ferrets are caged when we are out or asleep, and it's nice to have a little
room for them to play with toys or each other if ferret math strikes.

Shelter ferrets usually come with distemper shots already given to them.
Some may also be available with rabies shots, depending on their previous
owners, or the shelter.  That can save you money on vet bills.  However, DO
NOT SCRIMP on veterinary care.  It is really important to find a good
ferret-knowledgeable vet--it can mean the difference between life and death
for your ferret.  If you go to a shelter--and I strongly suggest you do--ask
them for a recommendation.  They are likely to be the best source of a good
vet recommendation.

Good luck, keep reading up, and welcome to the FML.  Hope you can get a
little fuzzy to love soon.  From all the signs, you'll make a good ferret
Mom.

Melodyt and the SIX fuzzbutts--soon to be SEVEN!