Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:08:55 -0400
Another FML'er and I noticed that each other's facebook posts/status
updates remarked about seeing Pine Sisken (warblers) literally dropping
dead like flies. Neither of us had actually spotted these birds before.
I know that other than an occasional flock they do not winter down here
much. But now we have huge flocks. We have several on the street that
are in the hundreds. They are not leaving for summer either. Heres the
thing. This lady lives in another part of the country. So, this
phenomenon is wide spread. Any time you see a few birds literally
dropping dead to the point where you find them in your yard you are
supposed to report it as it is from an infectious disease usually.
Funny how no ones seen this in the news anything.

When we both researched it, we found that the Pine Sisken is very
vulnerable to sominella and it's running rampant through the population
this year. However, they are only reporting it from West Virginia
though Tennessee, and I forget what other states. Its more wide spread
than this. They are also reporting much less numbers of deaths than
this lady and I are seeing. Let me tell you how bad it is. When I first
a dad bird, it was in a neighbors yard. I asked them about it and they
told me the number they had found and that it was always the same
species. As they were telling me ..... one of them dropped to the
ground right at our feet twitching, flopping, etc. It's "that" bad.

Reports say that other birds and animals can catch the disease and they
are asking watchers and those that feed wild birds to take extra steps
and precautions in their yards. The friend and I are very big bird
watchers, and we've not seen any other bird species affected by this.
My son feeds a whole small population of squirrels here and as crazy as
it sounds, he knows each individual (its his new hobby). He's not seen
anything amiss. This puzzles the living heck out of my friend and I.
Sominella is extremely contagious. How could it be that bad in only one
specific type of bird?

I am writing because many of us are nature and animal enthusiasts and
are active in wild animal hobbies. I think the problem is more severe
than its' been noted. Much more severe, and much more wide spread. That
needs to be dealt with. We need to report what we are seeing to our
nature centers, Wild Birds Unlimited, Universities and even the health
department.

Now for the primary reason I am writing. My friend and I are very
freaked out by this in reference to our ferrets and other pets. We all
need to be aware of this problem and even consider not letting our
ferrets roam where birds frequent outside (under trees, bushes, near
feeders, etc)... if we let them romp through the yards at all. We need
to be aware that this is affecting more states than they are reporting
or even know of at this point. For our pets and our safety, we need to
report it if seen as I said.

I'm hoping The Crandall and other comment about their opinions, or what
they know about the situation in regards to our ferrets being outside.
We are in camping/swimming season here. Camping with ferrets is a very
large part of our lives. I need to know my choices and what the "real"
risks are and are not. And I would love to hear why we are not seeing
this in other populations at all! Could they be wrong as to exactly
what is causing this?

Here is just one quick link for you to see what we are reading about,
Googling "pine sisken dropping dead" pulls up such links:
<http://www.freelists.org/post/bcbirdclub/Pine-Siskins-Dying-near-Feeders>