From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 20:13:39 -0500
Dear Amy:

>Last night Jason noticed Miya squinting her right eye.  We cannot see any
>abrasion, but it could be under her eyelid.  She was squinting again this
>morning, and Jason said when it's darker in their room she doesn't squint
>as much, like the light is bothering her.  I am going to call the vet
>today, but wanted to post in case anyone has some input.  We're strapped
>for cash so if a vet visit isn't necessary we would like to avoid it.  I'm
>wondering if we should wait it out a few days or if this is an emergency
>situation.  Please email me at [log in to unmask] and post on list as
>well.

Tough to tell on this one - could be an injury, or a foreign body, or an
ingrown hair, or the first sign of a viral upper respiratory infection.
This advice will sound strange, but it cash is tight this time of year (as
it is for all of us overspenders at Christmas time) - take her in ASAP to
be looked at.

Why?  Eyes can go bad in a day, and the worse it gets before you catch it,
the more $$$ its going to be.  We've all been reading on the FML about
ferrets and corneal ulcers - we don't want to let it get too far, because
a bad ulcer is the devil to treat, may require surgery, and you can still
end up losing the eye.

It's probably nothing major, but on the off chance it isn't, it should be
seen.  It's obviously causing her pain if she is keeping it closed.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dvm