From:
West End Animal Hospital <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:52:56 -0500
Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM
West End Animal Hospital
103 SW 140th Terrace
Newberry, FL 32669
(352)332-4357

I think FML'ers need to know that vets have to be EXTREMELY careful about
diagnosing and making recommendations, and we may have to become even more
conservative.  The AVMA has just published cautions and caveats, including
the fact that a veterinarian probably is not licensed to practice in the
state the person asking the question lives.  That can make it practicing
without a license, and the AVMA is warning us not to respond to questions
or diagnosis and treatment on the internet or via email.

This promises to make things more difficult for us and for you.
Unfortunately, our society has become so litigious that we have to "cover
our butts" for almost anything we do.

Therefore, I urge you NOT to depend on vets answering your diagnosis
questions, especially in a life-threatening situation.  Always talk to your
vet first, and then he or she can contact "ferret-wise" vets for
consultation.

Debbie Kemmerer DVM