From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 06:51:38 -0800
Itching can be an internal problem from lack of essential fatty acids
(EFA's). Do you give any Ferratone which is a coat and skin supplement?
My guys get a dime size drop in a Gerber Baby food cap when they return
to their cage after play time. They often beat me to the cage! You can
also give them straight olive oil, the better quality is best. I cut
my Ferratone 50-50 with the olive oil. Vivify is a great product to
accomplish the same and provide other health benefits. Cheapest place
I know to order it is Ferret.com. It is TF product. A few drops a day
is all that is needed.

Is the room dry, do you perhaps need to run a humidifier?

It might be the shampoo as well. You can accomplish the same thing with
a box filled 1/3 full or so with uncooked rice (NOT instant rice) or
STARCH packing peanuts. You are not putting any chemicals on them that
might irritate their skin. These two components in a large box are
great enhancement activities that get them dooking, digging and
dancing. Packing peanuts can be ordered at www.uline.com.
Specifically http://www.uline.com/Grp_41/Peanuts. These are safe for
animals if congested. They dissolve if near any fluids so beware.

Keep in mind that itching is also a sign of adrenal disease so watch
for any other possible clinical symptoms like hair loss, swollen vulva
or small pee puddles from the males, aggression and excess butt area
sniffing. With every ferret I have had that had adrenal I noticed a
change in poops, more seedy . Last ferret I saw this with, I took to
our vet an Ultrasound, no other signs at all! Lo and behold...she had
right adrenal gland issues and got a Des implant. So do keep that in
mind as well.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Best of luck,
Cathy