From:
Guy & Debbie Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:07:17 -0500
I would like to thank the members who responded to my inquiries on reactions
to vaccinations.  Based on the information provided, I now have an info
sheet to hand out to our club members.  As promised, this is what I've put
together.

As with all good information sheets, this one is open for revisions and
updates as more information is received.  Please feel free to make
suggestions.

Considered a Mild Reaction:
- a small bump/lump at the injection site
- intestinal discomfort (stomach growling)
- lethargy from 24 to 48 hours after the vaccination
- soft stools (not diarrhea)

* you may want to administer 1/2 cc of Children's Benydril and monitor for
  the next 12 hours

Considered a Moderate Reaction:
- mucus stools, some diarrhea (may be bloody) occurring several hours after
  the vaccination
- gagging, pawing at the mouth, one or two episodes of vomiting (may be
  bloody) occurring several hours after the vaccination
- more pronounced lethargy
* recommended that your ferret be seen by your vet.  He may want to
  administer an antihistamine or steroid shot.  The ferret may need fluid
  replenishment(sub-q injection).  Most vets will require pre-treatment of
  an antihistamine or steroid shot for all future vaccinations.

Considered a Severe Reaction:
- loss of control of all bodily functions
- bloody projectile diarrhea
- continuous vomiting, vomiting blood
- loss of consciousness, coma
- nose, ears, paw pads become bright red in color/whole body turns bright
  red with all the fur in "bottlebrush" mode
- nose and mouth may go white, losing natural pink tint
- panting, gulping for air, not breathing at all
* these are life threatening reactions; sometimes happening within minutes
  of receiving the vaccination. Hopefully if it is going to happen, it will
  be  while you are still in the vet's office. Only you and your vet can
  decide if the risks of a future reaction  outweigh the risks of not
  having any future vaccinations.

It is imperative that you always remain at the vet's for at least 30
minutes to 45 minutes after administration of the shot, even if your ferret
is not showing any symptoms.  Ferrets can have a reaction, in spite of no

This information sheet is not intended to replace sound medical advice and
if you have any concerns; you should be addressing them with your vet.

Again, I would like to thank all those who helped me by sharing their
experiences.  Ferret folks helping other ferret folks.  This is truly what
the FML is all about :)

Deb Kelley
Manitoba Ferret Association