From:
Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:44:31 -0800
I recently brought home two kits, born from parents who were inoculated
against canine distemper virus (CDV), and both kits who had properly
received their first 2 of 3 Fervac-D shots at 7 and 10 weeks.  However, one
of the kits (Honey) is currently in the throes of distemper (not the other
kit or any of my other 10 ferrets, who are also current on their vaccines).
The remaining kits in the litter are also fine.

SYMPTOMS are pretty textbook classic: light sensitivity, sticky eyelids,
initial loss of appetite, crusty & swollen pawpads, severe all-over
dermatitis (looks like a BAD sunburn), swollen chin and anus.  Standard
symptoms she does NOT have: no runny nose, no pus from eyes or nose, no
drooling, no muscular tremors or seizures.  Additionally, this ferret
continues to eat well, gaining about 1/2 ounce per day, poops well, and
plays like crazy!  Weasel-war dancing, sock-stealing, foot-wrestling,
ferret-pouncing, high-jumping, trashcan-tipping, and all sorts of other
happy behaviors!

Honey is under the expert care regimen of Dr. Debbie Kemmerer.  The daily
medical regimen consists of Baytril (antibiotic to keep down secondary
infections), echinacea (to possibly stimulate the immune system), and
alpha-interferon (anti-viral).  She also gets vitamin E and neosporin
rubbed on her feet, chin, and anus.

Dr. K and I are puzzled as to how Honey could have distemper.
Possibilities are (1) vaccine inducement (although unlikely), (2) somehow
Honey didn't get much immunity from nursing mom, (3) her immune system was
compromised by a brief period (48 hours) of diarrhea and/or a fall into the
pool for 1 second, (4) my older ferret Misty, another distemper survivor,
continues to carry and shed the virus, and (5) who knows?

Regardless of the possibilities, I am asking anyone else out there about
any information they may have about their own distemper survivors --
treatment, calendar of symptoms, length of recovery time, or anything else
you can tell me about your experiences.  I realize that only a few ferrets
out of a thousand survive distemper, but we have high hopes for Honey
because she appears to be fighting this off, and isn't showing all the
symptoms.

We estimate that Honey "caught" the virus on Oct. 10.  According to Fox
(Biology & Diseases of the Ferret), death should occur within 12-16 days
of infection (or 21-25 days with a wild canine CDV strain).  Thursday,
November 18 is DAY 39!

I look forward to hearing about any other CDV success stories!

Thanks from Erika, Honey (Mom, why am I so RED?), and the other 11
ferrets (Mom! Pay some attention to US!)