Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:07:43 -0700
Well, I've had a single day at home and I am now on the road again! No
grass under my feet! I just hope I can remember which side of the road
I have to drive on.

My post saying I was attending the Buckeye Bash earned a few replies,
mostly polarized and ranging from, "Are you nuts?" to "I'd drive 500
miles to hear about your research." The obvious replies are, "Yes I
am nuts," and, "So are you."

I spent all day yesterday -- as well as the last few days in Europe
and my traveling days -- looking at the big numbers. They have even
shocked me.

I can now prove a strong correlation between environment (husbandry)
and some ferret diseases. I can now prove a strong link between diet
and dental problems, including the involvement of kibble in gingivitis
and periodontal disease. I can prove -- without a doubt -- that the
gene pool of American ferrets might have some fluctuations when
compared to all other groups, but that those differences are minor
when compared to the overall similarities (and I have collected DNA
from more than 900 ferrets).

Oh, I also know how to measure a ferret and predict 1/4th or more
polecat heritage with just a few measurements (well, to a 80-90%
success rate). I also have a great insight into the Angora and
Blackself variants of ferrets.

As for feral ferrets, I now know -- and know how to prove -- if North
American ferret can go feral. I can also say how feral ferrets are
different.

I have also recorded the views of thousands of ferret owners and
what they think of the California Issue, the IFC, the FML, and the
perception of American dominated ferret husbandry. It may interest
you, or may just make you angry.

Oh, and did someone mention diet? I haven't finished crunching the
numbers, but I think I can show strong correlations between diet and
disease. STRONG correlations. With a sharpened Occam's Razor and a few
strong statistical analyses, this data will be all but impossible to
ignore.

You can be the first to heat about these findings if you attend the
Buckeye Bash and come to my lecture. Since I won't be speaking at the
IFC symposium this year, this may be one of your few chances this year
to see and hear what I have to say firsthand.

Bob C

[P.S.:] Oops, I forgot!

I have nearly 1700 emails from the last 5+ months to dig through,
including FMLS, ferret questions, and the like. It will take some time
to go though all of them, so if something is very important, don't wait
for my answer before seeing your vet. I will eventually get through all
of them.

Bob C