From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 17:12:33 -0500
Regarding Dr. Bruckheim's infamous opinions:

>This model came with several CD's, including "The Family Doctor,
> 3rd Edition", written and edited by Allan H. Bruckheim, MD, FAAFP.
>(I'll try to paraphrase it to save BIG heartburn over copywrite laws.  ;>)

You attributed the information at the beginning of your post to Dr.
Bruckheim.  There is no danger of copyright infringement.  In fact, by
paraphrasing his statement, you have introduced the danger of such quotes
as:

---->      They savagely attack babies.

being attributed TO Dr.  Bruckheim.  If Dr.  Bruckheim says that ferrets
"savagely attack babies," then you should by all means quote him directly
and attribute that quote to him.  If he didn't say "ferrets savagely attack
babies," you have led people to believe that he has.  I don't think a
dialogue regarding this misled individuals beliefs would be productive if we
didn't have an accurate quotation from his book (cd, whatever).

Lenka:

Thank you for the information about introducing ferrets.  Mortimer and
Sebastian are doing better, but pitched, smelly battles still occur
regularly.  Right now, Morty lives in a cage most of the time.  Your
experience is encouraging.  I think our guys will eventually get along, but
if anyone knows any tricks, I'd sure love to hear about it.

SubQ fluids?

I think the pinch test is a great thing for any pet owner to know, but
dehydration in a tiny little animal is nothing to mess around with.  If you
think your ferret is dehydrated, you should take him to see a veterinarian.
If you can't afford the expenses of a vet, then you should not have a pet!
If your pet has a serious health problem, expenses can run into the hundreds
of dollars very easily.  If you don't have several hundred dollars for
surgery/hospitalization/etc.  in case of a bad health problem (and I've
heard of quite a few on this list), then you had better consider finding a
better home for your furry friend.  I worked at a veterinary hospital in a
somewhat poor neighborhood years ago.  Many people brought in sick animals
and were offended when we expected them to pay the bills.  Veterinarians do
not practice medicine as a charity.  Anyway, this is why I would not
consider giving subcutaneous fluids at home.  I hope I don't seem abrasive,
but a pet is a huge responsibility, and I would never consider owning one if
I could not care for it as I would a child.  Sebastian had the flu last
week, and was dehydrated.  I would not trade the peace of mind it gave us
having the vet examine him and prescribe appropriate medication (she did not
give him subcutaneous fluids) for the paltry forty dollars it costed us.

Regards,
Catherine Shaffer

[Moderator's note: It's my understanding that attributing a document to the
proper author does not mean you can't infringe - you most certainly can.

While I'm at it, I believe that giving SQ fluids etc. at home isn't about
saving money.  It's far less stressful for your sick fuzzy to be at home
in familar surrounds and being handled by familiar people.  Of course,
under the ultimate supervision of a vet though.  BIG]