From:
Michelle Matta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:50:44 -0400
We had to put Salty to sleep last night.  She is our 3rd ferret in 8 months
that has died.  She was also our second oldest, just turning 5 in July.

I came home to find her bleeding internally, or at least that's what it
appeared as, since that's what we lost Pepper to a few months back.  Well,
not that we lost her to it, but it was a contributing factor.

Salty had adrenal tumors and was pretty much bald, so I could see her skin
very well.  Her whole back was purple/black in color, like a bruise, and
there was a small red blood spot, internally.  No blood outside the skin.
I knew it was her time and took her to the vets.  This was the first time I
took a ferret in specifically to have her put to sleep.  WIth SHadow, the
choice was easy, she was in surgery and the dr.  just didn't wake her up.
Peaceful and painfree.  Pepper died on the way to be put to sleep.  The
vet's office (a very ferret-friendly and ferret-reputable one) said that
they would try the iv method which would just put her to sleep.  If they
couldn't get the iv in, then they would have to do the injection into the
heart, mildly sedating her first.  Thank goodness the iv worked, but
thoughts raced through my mind as they were trying the iv.  I don't think
I could have let them do the shot to the heart, "mildly" sedated or not.
Isn't there another way?  If they were going to sedate her, couldn't they
just OD her instead of "mildly" sedating??

- mish

Michelle Matta
esgear Customer Support