From:
Diana Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:10:31 -0400
Hello all!

I would like to get info on how to get a ferret shelter started/off the
ground.  I need to know if there are any legal procedures that I have to
abide by, etc etc.  I live in Eastern NC (around New Bern, Havelock,
Newport, Morehead City).  The local animal shelters in our two surrounding
counties will not take Ferrets and other small pets (rabbits,etc) only
dogs and cats.  The pet store in our area sell alot of ferrets and I feel
eventually there will be owners that will want to give up their pets.
I have taken in three ferrets this way (friends know someone in this
situation and they contact me.  Some of the pet stores will try and help
the owners resell their pets if the pet store does not have alot of ferrets
in their store.  The last ferret I got, the owner said the pet store could
not help her.  Luckily we meet three months ago in this pet store and I
gave her my name and number.

If anyone can give me info on the pros and cons of operating a shelter or
if they know of a shelter close to my area (2 hours or less) that I can
contact, I would greatly appreciate it.

Diana Hastings
mother to a brood of eight!
Charlie, Snowball, Freddie, Alfie, Meeko, Monkey, Cookie and Skippy