From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:30:14 -0600
About 2 1/2 years ago, I got a call from Lisette on a Sunday morning.
Her sweet champagne boy Bisquit had taken a 20 minute ride in a hot
clothes dryer, and there was no vet to help her with him. (You probably
read the story) He was in really bad shape. He required around the
clock care, feedings, fluids and meds etc. We were very lucky & very
blessed Some of you sent up some pretty potent prayers. In a week,
Bisquit was running all around the room, as if nothing had happened.
The only permanent damage was some wrinkled skin on his little nose.

Today, there was another call. Bisquit had quit eating. Lisette gave
him fluids to support him until the vet appointment at 2:00, and asked
for any advice we could give, as the ferret vet wasn`t there today,
and the vet who was in was not ferret-knowledgeable.

At about 2:30 we got a call from the vet. We talked about ECE, flu,
foreign bodies etc. I suggested an Xray---(look for air bubbles.)

The vet was very nice, but explained that she could not do any surgery
if there was a blockage--She wasn`t experienced in ferret surgery.

The Xray did show some air bubbles, and Bisquit was crying. I asked if
she could give .06 buprinex to him for pain, and Lisette & I chose a
meeting place. (She lives two hours away.) Our usual courier (Gregg)
was at work---and this was a NOW emergency. If this was a blockage, our
vet would do the surgery, & I would sit in, & be with him. (GEESH--this
would be my fourth post-op in three weeks!) But I was ready to be his
hero again.

Dr. Katie showed us the Xray she had taken. There was a big air bubble
in the tummy (probably fixable!) ---but to our horror, it also showed
fluid in his lungs--and a large tumor. It had metastacised--and this
was not fixable.

Everything happens for a reason. Bisquit might have been sent home with
amoxi drops, and suffered a very bad death, after the pain meds wore
off. Instead, he got to walk around our vet`s office & explore for a
short time. (Thanks to the pain meds, he got to feel better for a
while) The skilled hands that might have saved him now mercifully freed
him before the pain returned --and he got to be with his mommy and his
aunty in the last few minutes of his life.

I do believe the vet in Mount Prospect will become a good ferret vet.
she is willing to learn, and she is honest & caring. She gave Bisquit
relief from pain--and showed compassion for both Bisquit & his
concerned mom. She asked that Lisette check back with her & let her
know how everything turned out. I believe Bisquit touched her heart
(even though he nipped her ear!) and I think she has a new interest in
learning about ferret medicine....There`s such a need for good ferret
vets out there. Everything happens for a reason....

This last month has probably been the worst one ever, since Zoo`s
Ferret Sanctuary began. Lots of illness, many losses--all unavoidable--
but still very painful.

Three ferret friends from other states have lost their babies too.
Babies who were described to me by phone. I felt like I knew them.
After hanging up, I cried for them, as if they were my own.

One of these people said something to me, having no idea how truly down
I was at that moment. She said "Zoo, thank you so much for being there.
I`m so glad you`re my friend." About then, it dawned on me, how glad I
was that she was MY friend. Only another ferret person would
understand.

Everything happens for a reason.

Please give your babies an extra snuggle from us.

Love
Zoo