From:
Scott Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:01:49 EDT
Great article with more than a little humour, which we all need when
involved in a struggle of epic proportions...

June 7, 2001

Freeing California s Ferrets
The tortured politics of illegal pets

By Michael W. Lynch

Something momentous happened on the floor of the senate Tuesday.  I m not
referring to the U.S. Senate, although I guess a mid-term partisan power
shift is worth noting.  I'm talking about the California State Senate,
which kept the lights on long enough to pass a bill providing amnesty to
the thousands of Californians who keep ferrets as pets.

Go ahead and snicker, but know that for many, the contraband status of
ferrets is no laughing matter....   [See note below.  BIG]

Michael W. Lynch ([log in to unmask]) is REASON's national correspondent.

[Moderator's note:
The bad news is that I had to delete the bulk of that article due to
copyright concerns.

The good news is that the whole article is available on the web at
http://www.reason.com/ml/ml060701.html

It's good reading.  BIG]