From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2014 10:42:45 -0400
For people they are in the minority, but the causes of other cases
are unknown. Both of these also increase the risk of adrenal tumors
in humans.

(Yes, I was searching around in work on non-ferrets again, because
sometimes what is learned from one type of being translates to another.
Rates of genetic risk factors also vary among species.)

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/insulinomas

QUOTE

Risks and causes of insulinoma
We don't know what causes most insulinomas. Between 5 and 10 out
of every 100 people with insulinoma (5 to 10%) have a rare family
syndrome, either multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN 1) or
von Hippel-Landau syndrome.

END QUOTE

In ferrets all that we have so far are hypotheses for possible causes
of insulinoma but I know that at least one of these two genetic risk
factors has been among things being studied by a veterinary professor
to see if it might apply for ferrets. It will be interesting to find it
either or both of these genetic vulnerabilities exist in pet ferrets
and then later to what degree. There is still a great deal to learn
about insulinoma in all species that get it, and no additional answers
showing up so far with rigorous studies.

That vulnerability to insulinoma in ferrets might have at least one
genetic component is absolutely no surprise for any of us who have been
in the ferret world for 25+ or 30+ years because before fancies were so
common endocrinological tumors, especially ones before very old age,
were also far less often reported, ditto the symptoms of such problems.
They happened, yes, but less often. (Two problems which seemed to have
been reported more often then compared to now were splenic rupture,
which is avoidable now due to infection types and treatments being
documented, and lymphoma. So, it was not all wine and roses but
non-fancy ferrets also seemed to have longer lives than many now report
after so much in the way of fancy genetics wound up in the breeding
lines.)

In veterinary reports from Europe and notes from people there to lists
there appear to be similar increases in certain health problems as
fancies become more common.

Oh, and on that score. From a longtime Maryland breeder, Danee DeVore,
we have a six year old, standard marking, spayed female ferret who
recently was mistaken at a vet hospital for a three year old and who
remains very strong, very happy, and completely healthy. Hopefully,
Pivot has a good many more years in her. The only thing we have to
watch in her is an increased vulnerability to dental tarter due to her
teeth having large cingulae (which make the teeth stronger against
breakage but capture more debris). Of course, for a few years we also
have been among those who have been trying annual springtime Suprelorin
implants in all of our ferrets, too. It is costly, but has a very good
chance of being extremely good for the ferrets.