From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 07:35:53 -0400
To Krystal Sewell and Weehawk:

    Judging from Weehawk's actions, it does seem that he is a bit more "macho"
than one would expect from a MF ferret.  I do agree that there is a
possibility of a retained testicle or part of one.  Concerning what you should
do now - there are no good tests available as of yet to screen for the
presence of a retained testicle.  Ultrasound is probably not an answer, as you
may be looking for an atrophic testicle, which would be very difficult to
pinpoint.  Best suggestion - have your vet do a good physical exam, preferably
under some inhalant anesthesia.  On one of my 4-year-old adoptees, we found
the testicle in the inguinal canal only after he was sedated - the rest of the
time it was probably hiding too far up to feel it.  If you don't feel it there
it may still be in the abdomen - and that would be the next place to look
(surgically).

    Other things that you would see in a ferrret with a retained testicle is
the typical waxy coat that intact males have - and he should be muskier than
other neutered males (which you would also expect in an incompletely altered
or intact male.

    Finally, I urge you to make sure we get this testicle out - retained
testicles have a nasty habit of developing tumors.  They won't produce sperm,
because the temperature of the body is too high, but they will develop
neoplasmen.  I removed Bob's testis, it had 4 different neoplasms in it
(luckily none had gone malignant).

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]             Washington, D.C.  20306-6000
(202) 782-2600/2602