From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 18:44:43 -0400
Lily had the most awful looking hematoma erupt on her ear last night!  I
thought she had dirt on her ear and picked her up to wipe it off.  I was
totally freaked out when I saw it.  I called the emergency vet to make sure
there was a ferret vet on duty.  He talked to me and said it sounded like a
hematoma and it could wait until morning.  I thought he was very, very nice
to say that.  They missed out on an after-hours fee and knew I was going to
my regular vet this a.m.

I suspect that Blaze did this to her.  Blaze picks on Lily all the time and
Lily always has little scabs on the back of her neck from Blaze biting her.
I suspect she bit in the wrong place because I had separated them twice
last night.

Took Lily in this a.m.  fully expecting them to say to take her home and it
would go away on its own.  Nope!  Had to get in there and cut and drain it.
I asked them to also cut a skin tag off her rear paw pad which has been
driving me crazy.  I've been afraid I would nick it when I cut her nails.
Poor baby was a sight to see when I picked her up.  She has a bandage
wrapped all around her head.  She looks like an immigrant lady with her
scarf on.  Her foot is also bandaged.  I asked her vet why they always
insist on humiliating poor Lily.  Brought her home and she ran all over the
house and drank water and ate her food.  Also gave her her daily dose of
duck soup (trying to fatten her up).  I set her up in a large carrier with
a hammock, blankets and all the other stuff she needs.  She'll stay in
there a couple of days.  I'll probably put Lany in with her for company
starting tomorrow.  I can take her bandages off on Monday.  The stitches
have to stay in 3 weeks!  She's on amoxi for 7 days.

So, all is well.  Lily has survived yet another surgery at 5 1/2.  Please
keep her in your thoughts.

Katharine