From:
Karen Ludwig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:26:06 -0700
I am new to FML and have come to seek advice so I can make the best
decision regarding my dear ferret, Annie, who last week was diagnosed
with insulinoma.  She is just shy of 5 years of age and had successful
surgery for an adrenal tumor last summer and has been doing well until
now.  I took her in for tests after noticing that she seemed to have
lost weight and her in cage behavior had started to change--she had a
nonfasting glucose of 64.  At present she is on pediapred with the
consideration of adding diazoxide.

Here is my dilemma: Almost a year ago I had another ferret of similar
age, Avery, who developed sx's of insulinoma.  I live in Colorado and
had experience with two knowledgeable ferret vets, one in Boulder and
one in Fort Collins.  Living nearer Boulder at the time of diagnosis I
went with the conservative approach of the Boulder vet who did not
believe in surgery and treated with prednisone for a matter of 6+ months
with definite improvement in symptoms, but when I moved back to the Fort
Collins area, I continued care with my vet there who had had much success
with surgery and advocated that for Avery.  At the time of surgery he
was doing very well outwardly but during surgery, he was found to also
have an undiagnosed adrenal tumor and lymphoma and never made it out of
anesthesia.  His death was totally unexpected and difficult to
comprehend.

At present, I feel as if I am caught between a rock and a hard place and
desire input from those of you on the FML to help me make the best
decision now for Annie.  Much of the research I have done on the internet
and of course my vet in Fort Collins advocate surgery as treatment of
choice but I also know from experience that some vets feel medication is
the treatment of choice.  I want to do whatever will give Annie the best
chance for a good quality of life and to prolong that quality of life for
as long as is possible.  Was losing Avery during surgery an abberation?
If medical treatment is chosen, what is the advisability of using
pediapred and diazoxide together from the very beginning?  Right now I
am just giving her the pediapred and she has responded favorably to it,
but I want to make this decision regarding whether to do surgery very
soon and would so appreciate any input you could give me.

Thank you for reading this and for any help that you can give me and
Annie.

Lynne--Heartbroken in Colorado