From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:23:37 -0400
Several months ago I asked about Sheppard & Green ferret food, which has
recently found its way into North Carolina stores.  A fellow FMLer was kind
enough to send me a sample of their food through the mail so I was able to
discover that my ferrets will eat it.  I sent a letter to S&G asking them
for information on their food, and I received back a rather informative
packet of information about the general nutritional breakdown of the
company's two foods.  Judging by this general comparison, the "Nutri Life"
food appears to be comparable in protein, fat and other crude nutritional
aspects as Totally Ferret, Marshall's or Iams kitten, and the "Maxi Life" is
essentially the same with less fat.

S&G did not both to answer a few specific questions such as who formulated
their food and whether they set specific standards for the quality of the
raw material that goes into the food.  The food appears to be preserved with
vitamins E and C, but I didn't see any statement saying that they
specifically do *not* use ethoxyquin.

Finally, I can't say much for their mail room.  The package they sent me
with the info and samples was postmarked Aug.  29 and I got it Saturday.
The address on the package was wrong, even though it had the correct 9-digit
zipcode.  It also arrived postage due.

I don't know if S&G will provide free samples of their food through pet
stores.  Perhaps they're adhering to the TF practice of only providing
samples from their own offices.  They have a toll-free number if anyone is
interested in trying to get samples to see if their ferrets will like it.
(Either that or shell out $16 or so--at least locally--and risk having your
ferrets ignore it.) The number is: 800-851-6661.  The price seems to be
higher than Iams but less expensive than TF.  It's also flavored with fig
juice or extract.  My ferrets have never tasted figs but still seem to like
the S&G food OK.  I haven't made up my mind yet if I'll add S&G to the mix
of foods I give my guys.

   --Jeff Johnston ([log in to unmask])