From:
Elizabeth Luc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:18:56 -0500
Hi there
Just wanted to stick in my two cents worth about the coloured ferrets.  I
too use and have used manic panic and punky color on myslef for years.  I
agree that these dyes are safe to use on animals.

Anyways...I wanted to say that the safest bet for dying is diluted food
colouring.  We get a TV Show up here in Canada that has this blond lady
who interviews celebrities and their pets.  She has a little maltese that
is a deep pink color.  On one of the shows she spilled her secret..she
uses food coloring diluted to make a watery paste.  I dont 100% condone
dying pets hair (sometimes it looks ridiculous) but I dont think its cruel
either.

Food:
I've been investigating into proper ferret diets for a few months now.
Comparing food comparison charts, ingredients, etc.

I wonder if I could get opinions on which foods actualy ARE the best.  I
work at a pet store (up here in canada) and I have been trying to decide
which foods i want to carry.  I spent several hours on the internet going
to each manufacturers web page and copying ingredients and analysis's.
One thing I notice is that people focus on corn being a bad thing, which
I completely agree.  But what about all the rice and rice flour they put
in the diets?  How does rice, rice flour come into the equation?

Does somebody have a web page which explains the BEST way to analyze a
food?

So far I've decided to carry :
- 8 in 1 Ultimate Ferret Diet
- Royal Canin Feline Growth
- Eagle Pack Kitten Formula
- Hagen Ferret Diet (which I never cared for until I put it up against
  other foods and found it was actually better than most)
- and I personally add Wyson Archetype Diet into my ferrets diet

Some of these foods are canadian in nature so many of you may not be
familiar with them but I will gladly supply anybody who asks with the
ingredients and analysis.

I am mostly interested in somebody explainging EXACTLY how to examine a
food properly for what is best.

Thank you.

Elizabeth Luc