From:
Andre Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 12:23:30 -0400
To David Whiteman and all other ferret owners that have problems with
hair loss and acne on the tail.

Actually one of my ferret (Snoopy) has these problems. So I wrote a letter
to Mr. Bruce Williams (thank again Mr. Williams for your answer) about it.

Here is the answer of Mr. Williams:

>Andre:
>    Although I am not sure how long the ferret has been without hair on
>the tail, we commonly see hair loss on a seasonal basis in ferrets,
>especially during the breeding season.  Many of them will also develop these
>blackheads, which respond fairly well to a dilute benzoyl peroxide shampoo,
>which you can probably get at your vets'.
>
>    However, the blackheads and hari loss are probably not related,
>meaning that even if you remove all of the blackheads, that won't do much
>for the hair loss.
>
>    The cyclic hair loss, also known as rat-tail - usually last from 2-4
>months, and then will regrow.  We don't know precisely what causes it, but
>it is more severe in males than females, especially in times of stress.
>
>     If the hair loss proceeds further than the tail, and starts to
>encompass the flanks, back or abdomen, this would indicate an andrenal
>problem, and a trip to the vet for further evaluation would be necessary
>at that time.
>
>Best to Snoopy,
>
>Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP

I hope this will help you all !!!