From:
Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:47:14 EDT
I don't know if Melanie is going to write about Colonel Sanders but I just
feel I have to.  I've been rescuing and fostering for only 1 1/2 years and
sometimes a ferret will just come to you and imbed himself/herself into
your heart.  Such was the case with Colonel Sanders.

The Kent County Humane Society (W Michigan) called and I went to pick up a
ferret with the most awful looking mouth I had ever seen.  His gums looked
swollen and he had the worst smelling breath!  I had to drive with the
car window open from the odor.  I took him to Melanie's shelter as we had
prearranged.  She took him and we went into the "ferret room."  He was a
beautiful silver boy with a white face but his breath was enough to make
you gag.  Melanie brought out a teeth cleaning pick and started to
investigate the mouth problem.  It didn't take long before she had to stop
to keep from gagging.  I put some perfume under her nose and mine thinking
that might help.  She found compacted food between his gums that looked
like shredded chicken.  It was gross.  She picked and irrigated exposing
irritated gums all around.  Needless to say, Melanie fell in love with
this little boy and named him Colonel Sanders.  Melanie took Colonel
Sanders to the vet clinic and he recovered completely.  Colonel Sanders
was the sweetest, cuddliest little guy with a wonderful disposition.  He
was loved immensely.

I had just visited Melanie Tuesday and got to love him up a little bit.
Melanie had mentioned he was looking old to her lately, older than she
thought originally.  I received an email from her this morning saying,
"I just wanted to let you know that Colonel Sanders passed away sometime
yesterday.  I came home from work around 3 and found him and it looked
like he was just sleeping.  I have no idea what happened, unless it was
just pure old age.  It's been very hard for me."

Please add Melanie to your thoughts and give your little loves an extra
kiss & hug today.  Thanks.

Dee
Nilla
Hershey, Finnegan, Stone, Wile E. Coyote
MaryJane & Othello (my Forever Fosters)