From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 1995 21:18:56 -0700
To James Cristea and Cody:

>Questions?
>1) Why did he have another seizure with the tumor removed?

        Jim - only the grossly visible tumors can be removed.  There is
always a chance that an actively secreting tumor will not be of sufficient
size for the vet to take out, so that may reuqire continued medication or
another surgery further on down the road.

>2) Anyone ever have a _malignant_ right adrenal?

        Malignancies are just as common in teh right as in the left, and
probably have a higher rate of metastasis (which is still not all that high)
due to their close proximity to the liver.  Most of the malignancies that I
have seen arose in the right adrenal.

>3) Any suggestions on how to force feed a ferret if he will not eat again?

        Very simple - place the dropper or syringe in the corne of the mouth
and slowly fill up that little cheek pouch with the food.  Be sure to wear
old clothes, though.

        As an alternative to Duck Soup - try a little Gerbers Second Foods
Chicken (only chicken, nothing else.)  Put some on your finger and place it
in Cody's mouth. Most ferrets take to it readily, and by the second or third
feeding, will be lapping the stuff up with gusto.

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000