From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 06:35:03 -0500
To Drs Williams/Weiss/Dutton:

Is it ok to medicate ferrets using Linatone or Ferretone?  I've read posts
on here where people use it to aid in giving meds, and I was wondering if
the oil would prevent absorption of the medication?

Dr Williams:  When is the best time to do surgery on an insulinoma ferret?
As soon as it is dx'd with insulinoma, or wait until meds no longer help?
I ask because I wonder if newly developed tumors might not be visible
enough yet to take out if surgery is attempted when a ferret is first dx'd.

Two of my ferrets have been recently dx'd with insulinoma, and one of them
has a heart murmur now as well (she is 3 y.o., blood work normal - except
for glucose, normal heart US - not a farm ferret - had 2 litters before
being spayed.  The other is a 5 y.o.  farm ferret - exam ok except for glu).
They are both on low dose pred and are being supplement with Mary Vandam's
insulinoma "soup" mixture that has chromium, vitamin E, pet tab granuals,
papaya enzymes, ferretone, mixed in with some baby food, canned cat food,
and chicken broth.

Both are now doing wonderful and symptoms have disappeared.  Should I think
about surgery now anyway, or wait until they begin with symptoms again?

I have never been clear on this.

Thanks.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA