Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:16:33 -0400
I had to have all my hardwood floors replaced following a flood.  The
floorers used the local expert to clean and sand and seal.  A discussion
of wax vs. polyurethane seal followed and I was told that waxing the
floors is better for them than having them sealed.  Unfortunately, if
the owner is not there to maintain them, the floors can become bare.
Once an animal urinates on the floor, NOTHING - including sanding - will
remove the urine.  The boards must be replaced to remove the stain/odor.
I learned this when some tenants decided to let their dog have the run
of the house while they traveled.  We also had an oooold house where
the owner did this before we bought it.  Area rugs worked great!

Anyway, bottom line is, you can seal it now, but it will not remove the
stain by sanding.  If I was going to live in the house, I would replace
and wax.  Otherwise, I would seal to protect it from the people who
don't care about it.  Hope that answers your wax vs.  seal question.  I
have NO idea about Pergo, but the hardwood tiles in the house I lived in
as a little girl were not as easily replaceable, I don't think.  Moved
out at 11!

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the