From:
lisa smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:48:57 -0700
ferrets since before she was born.  She has been taught from the very
beginning to be gentle with them and that they CAN bite.  I have 6 right
now, one of whom was a biter when I got him.  None of them have ever done
more than jump up at her to play, and she has NEVER done anything to hurt
them.  Not saying that couldn't happen, but that's why children and pets
need to be supervised.  I was beyond angry when I read that you shouldn't
get a ferret because you have young children.  Certainly it should depend
upon your child's and the pet's temperament, and how responsible the
parent is.  Just to be on the safe side, I have small locks on the cage
doors.  I usually give the ferrrets their long playtime after my daughter
has gone to sleep, but I also let them play around her for short periods.
How is a child supposed to learn how to treat an animal if they're never
around one?  And for the record, I run a shelter and I wouldn't deny
someone a ferret based soley on how old their children are.  If the child
is obviously not listening to the parent about how to handle the animal,
or if the parent just lets them hang them by their tails, no of course
not.  But as a ferret lover and a parent, that is just ridiculous.  Sorry
if I've rambled on, but that really upset me.

-Lisa
Spook, Buffy, Angel, Frosty, Nibbles, Gypsy